Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Makua O'o Update

I'm dealing with health issues. So, not much is going on here at Makua o'o for the next little while.



Here are a few readings and a podcast that you might find interesting:

My favorite mythic arts and writers' blog Myth & Moor, authored by mythic writer, editor and all-around dear woman Terri Windling has this to say about "Stories are medicine."

Terri Windling also has a series of posts on illness that are relevant to life on the other side of health and robust extroversion: They start here.

A fantastic essay written by Brandy Nalani McDougall ferrets the beautiful and rich genealogy of kaona. I am feasting on her words and the power of its sovereignty. To read "Putting feathers on our words ..." Google "brandy mcdougall + kaona", then download the pdf onto your system. If you are Hawaiian, or love the power of imagery and multi-layers of meaning in literature, McDougall's mana'o is worth your exploration!

My son thought I might enjoy listening to these podcasts with writers Sherman Alexis and Jess Walters. The episode about 'Grief' was very insightful. A Tiny Sense of Accomplishment might be of interest to our readers.

Take care.

1 comment:

  1. Re-read Terri Windling's post "Stories are medicine" and found this wonderful essay http://www.endicott-studio.com/articleslist/silverhands-healing-the-wounded-wild-by-kim-antieau.html. Now I'm calling on my librarian pal to see about ordering Kim Antieau's book about old mermaids. It sounds like she is calling my name.

    ReplyDelete

Speak from the heart