Friday, September 5, 2014

Shine on, Harvest Moon


Monday, September 8, 2014 we will be basking in the Harvest Moon, the Full Moon closest to the Autumnal Equinox, and in the astrological sign of watery Pisces. It feels like harvest time here on Whidbey Island. The farmers and home gardeners have grown abundant crops this year. We are rich with dark rich greens, turnips and carrots, peaches, plums, onions, garlic. We are fortunate to be part of a community committed to dirt!

The summer has been hot, emotional, topsy-turvy in many ways yet the harvest of another year brings the dark times into balance and I am thankful. The cycles of grief move slowly through as our losses are embraced and felt. I think it helps me to be old enough and willing now to look death more honestly in the eye. That challenge was just what I took on a couple months ago when I started the process of studying The Second-Half of Life. What began as a two month commitment is now what I(and my husband) do day to day, and sometimes unconsciously everyday. The chapters (8 of them) can be read through as quickly as you're able to read anything. But, the folding in of the rituals and the mystery? That's a medium to slow process. It fits me at this stage, I feel like that Harvest Moon I suppose. When I was a girl I loved that song "Shine on Harvest Moon." Without knowing at 10 what a 'harvest' looked like, the melody and the rhythm was something that set me smiling. And, for me, the serious Scorpio, that song and the sense of ok-ness that came from listening, singing and whistling that melody should have been a clue to my well-being over time.

I still love the song, love the memory from small kid times, and embrace the harvest now that I know what harvests involve. Here's a link to The Old Farmer's Almanac about the Harvest Moon. There's always more to learn from different angles, and I love that there are options to getting what you want or need.

Shine on and enjoy Count Bassie on the piano (my Ma could play that piano!!) playing to that Harvest Moon!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak from the heart