Sunday, May 29, 2011

Lono Moon

The last phases of the Anahulu Ho'Emi (the third 10 day week of the Kaulana Mahina) include two kapu moons -- reminding us contemporary kanaka, to give thanks for all the care given during the Malama (month) about to end. Nothing ends, nothing dies, all is ever-recreated, but cycles pass and that is what study and practice with life in the flow is about. From the coolness of the Quonset hut kitchen-writing place in the woods, the pot of water for washing dishes steams up: the hot water is ready to do its work. I will need to stop this story to wash dishes or turn the water off and do them later. I'm feeling maluhiluhi. My pace is reduced, resting and giving thanks for the malama, I've been horizontal more than up-right. A few dishes left from the delicious French-toast breakfast I stirred together are what needs washing up so dinner pots and pans can fill with the fish stew I'm dreaming up. So, the makua o'o's life is many things, an abundance of horizontals and up-right positions carried out with a variety of speeds. The love for writing flows too as this work is hand work, real work carried out not by talking about it, but crafting it with the fingers and hands. The same hands that need to do the dishes.


Maluhiluhi. Did you click on that link and read the definition or did you glean meaning from the context; or did you know already? Glancing at the clock on the computer, I gauge the time between writing and re-filling my body with nourishment. That French toast breakfast was many hours ago, the need for something ono and nourishing stirs. To get from dirty dishes to fresh pot of fish stew will mean using the reduced level of energy wisely. The steam still rises from the water on the burner, the stew will take less than a hour to prepare and serve, Pete will be back in a couple hours, my energy and this tale are in a complementary flow.

Kaulana Mahina, the Hawaiian Moon Calendar and system of tracking the Moon's influences on Earth is such an inclusive and encompassing practice. Tied inseparably with the Hawaiian perspective of the environment that includes ALL EXISTENCE (seen and unseen) the kahuna observed time, over the long time ... ho'omanawanui. With diligence and regularity the observable became cycles upon which people counted. Today and tonight, the Lono Moon is one where the gods of harvest and abundance are acknowledged, thanked and included in the whole of living.

Pete is planting the three butternut squash starts this afternoon in our garden down the road. Squash shaped like the ipu, the gourd are the shape and kinolau of the god Lono. I consulted my written material, still practicing, and remembering, unlearning Gregorian counting (the calendar on your wall) and told Pete, "Yes, look Lono is a time to plant ipu-shaped food." With that intent, we give thanks to the gods who sustain us, who malama us. It is fitting that our well-ness include mahalo, thanks so more comes. We notice, we feel, we look: "Time to wash dishes. Time to give thanks. Time to plant." The kupuna and kahuna did there work, time for me to wash the dishes.

A NOTE and PREVIEW:

This post appears on the Workshop-study blog MALAMA I KA 'AINA.  The content and depth of study that takes place in our workshops include this style of storytelling woven with specific examples of connection between the Hawaiian perspective and my/your/our today.  The study group has ventured through two malama (months) of exploration, and next month the teachings from one of my first kumu (teacher) Rubellitte "Ruby" Kawena Kinney Johnson weaves itself into MALAMA I KA HA (care for the breath).  Her scholarship and her sense of Hawaiian perspective will widen the net of knowledge.  I am totally excited with this reknewed connection. 

I strongly encourage any readers and followers to consider the value and timing of this upcoming workshop.  I did not anticipate the work that is unfolding from these workshop -- I listened to the call and said, "Yes."  MALAMA I KA HA starts on Muku, Hawaiian New Moon, Tuesday, May 31st.  Click here to read about MALAMA I KA HA.

Aloha,
Mokihana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak from the heart