Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Rooted to Papa, Knotted with Ni pu'u, Crossing Time, Feeling the kaona


~o~

"Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm,
That will not forsake you, till my tale is told and done.

~o~


~o~
~o~

While the firelight's aglow, strange shadows from the flames will grow, Till things we've never seen will seem familiar...
Counting stars by candlelight, all are dim but one is bright;  The spiral light of Venus, rising first and shining best,
On, from the northwest corner, of a brand new crescent moon,
While crickets and cicadas sing, a rare and different tune,
Terrapin Station ..."
-extracted lyrics from the song Terrapin Station-Lady with a Fan by Jerry Garcia & Robert Hunter

~o~

Kumu Kawena "Ruby" Johnson

~o~

It's funny to wake from sleep and find your surroundings foreign because of course the dream has been so vivid and encompassing.  From the night-time comfort or the day-time retreat, the vardo has become my solid platform -- small, solid, reassuring.  The years of building her(our vardo) were in no small way a replication of birthing as all births happen, not instantaneous; formed from the bits and pieces of who and what we believed or intuited Pete and I started with our basic nature(s) and knotted what was good for us into place.  The touchable parts of our solid home:  the terra cotta tiles, the stainless steel walls, the arched ceiling of oak painted with milk, and windows that seal firmly and open expansively, all knotted into a place that serves the perpetuating of time with dreams.  Though the earth-bound nature of our lives are vital, just as our beans and peas that wili (tendril and cling) up the fence needed care, and protection from the slugs, the other side of life comes from dreaming that comfort, the vining nature that will burst with luscious sweet peas and tender lengths of Blue Lake Beans.

I'm in a vining-phase.  I feel the dreaming more present everyday in the writing I do, caring that I write more and more the dreaming bridges strengthen even as they are flexible and weather inclimate conditions.  Here at Makua, I maintain the voice that started things while the vardo was in-the-making ... feeling a cultural back-beat while I knotted together parts and let loose the things/beliefs/stories  that were no longer useful.  And in the writing in other places, the voice tendrils with the wisdom and desire to reach for something out there to which I can explore new territory.  Ever spend time with a vine?  Astrologically, I feel the steady progress to securing my Taurus North Node in the artistry of words that are not much like others out there.  It's okay that it might be difficult to understand, Hawaiians call it kaona and know the lesson will be ripe for those with a taste for it. It matters that I am confident and then quieted when it is time to nest, and rest, dream and restore.  Knotted in place, for a time before reaching.

The symbols and links above are a knotted cord of messages rooted in science that is inseparable from cosmos and dreams, rock icons and creatures carrying the codes upon their back where ever they go. 

~o~

INSPIRATION
Mahalo R.A. for the very cool connection with the Garcia-Hunter lyrics to Terrapin Station-Lady With a Lady the perfect knot needed to fill in this story, and H.S. for the imagery of the carbon molecule to link science with Kumulipo.

~o~
.
And you?  What dreams cross easily into the solid world you call your life?



3 comments:

  1. m, i dream of gatherings, problem solving, colors, fabrics, textiles, many of people of my past and present. I dream pleasant dreams, sweet dreams, sometimes yummy dreams. I sleep with my window open and feel the cool breeze and fall more deeply asleep seeking out the next chapter of some great undertaking. Often the dreams feel like reality or more like reality. I usually love my dream journeys. THey spin in and out, weaving parts of my here with parts of my there, snagging my everyday life with my far away life and usually but not always I love this dream world more. I especially love the colors and lately I have been very active and thinner.. move more easily and can run.. wow. jt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of your dreams, mature like the gardens of flowers and veggies you have planted in all the places I have visited, and you called 'home.' That's what I'm dreaming, too. The then and now and tomorrow are knotting together and it feels easier (and i love that!) The knots hold me in the dreams. Rich dreaming and clothes, I am wearing colorful things again, looking in the mirror and saying 'I look good.' And ditto, I am slim and liking the feel of the things I wear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cookies, welcome. I'd love to play a baritone ukulele sometime and maybe get one to keep my old fav soprano, too. Do you play ukulele?

    ReplyDelete

Speak from the heart