Saturday, October 20, 2012

Full Moon in Taurus, October 29, 2012: Commit Deeply

A late edit and apology:  The Full Moon in Taurus happens on October 29th ... not 20th ... my typo...so sorry!

The rains have soaked us. Three months of dry weather can do a world of good in a place where the verdant green is a substantial indicator of what is usual. Quiet now, the Tall Ones fill the moku with life -- oxygen and clarity crisp the morning after hours of drenching rain. A line of hemp rope stretched across the window as I write in the vardo extends the rain fly that is now not quite large enough to temper the downpour over the Quonset. Waterfalls dumped from the pockets of the nylon fly as Ka Lani (the heavens) opened up yesterday. We have plenty to do yet to make our nearly finished renovations warm enough for the dropping temperatures to come. Yet the lull of a rain-less morning is just the reminder we need to appreciate the good: shelter, dry surroundings, room to move, people we love. I count on the moon and recognize this is the beginning of the four 'Ole Phases of the moon cycle -- a time to take inventory, mend nets, weed the garden, do maintenance, before Mahina becomes full.

The four full moons of Kaulana Mahina during this malama (month)illuminate a very powerful energy of deep commitment available to us all. My astrologer, Elsa P. gives this insight to the Full Moon in Taurus on October 20, 2012, and in particular this angle fuels me:

...There is a chance for a big win here. A big score.  It could be a bunch of money, but most likley, you have a big idea or a vision of some kind. Now is the time to pull it all together and make a deep commitment to life (Sun) and your emotional (Moon) well-being...
The full moon in Taurus will light up my 4th House, and my North Node (using the unequal house systems). Again and again I write about that Taurus North Node to soothe and encourage the slow and persisting journey of being human. And, accepting that this journey is a changeable one I fold in the small shifts to get a bigger picture.The he'e (the octopus) flashes into my mind as I sit with what I am writing ... pausing to gather seemingly unconnectables, there is a way to commit to this artful life.


Elsa's thought, "But most likely, you have a big idea or a vision of some kind," rings long enough in my na'au (guts) and reaches for this mana'o from Kumu Hula KehauKekua when she speaks about the greed involved in developing the aha of Wailua on the island of Kauai.
“When I teach halau, I have absolutely no inhibitions. Nothing keeps me from speaking to the sacred and the profound. I have amazing trust and confidence in the power of the land and the gods and the ancestors... “Sometimes what appears to be a lost battle is really not. It’s an illusion. The natural world will always shift things back into balance. Some of the development, unfortunately, we’ll have to live with. But in no way, shape or form should it stop us from elevating the sacredness [of Wailua.] ...The pule(prayers) become even more important because you have to work much harder to make the connection, and unfortunately, a lot of people give up. Many have disconnected from the traditional practices. As a Native Hawaiian, I believe it’s our responsibility to continue them, even in these modern times, because sacred places are only in history books unless you’re practicing.”
Like the he'e (octopus) my practice as makua o'o is a path, a garden planted with experience that stretches me; tentacles that were once severed serve as reminders of my disconnection from the traditional practices. Back and forth I have traveled between the sacred places of my birth wandering and wondering if I have the scent of things or just the illusion of them. Never count us deeply connected Scorpio's out and down for the count; we are born to reassemble and rise from the ashes. This full moon approaching is fueling me to appreciate and be responsible for the sacred and valuable traditions that travel with me. Blessed with an enduring coil that depends on the natural world I think of the small stones, the pohaku li'i li'i hanau growing in a bowl of rainwater just outside the vardo. "I think it might be time for you to take care of these," my cousin Mokihana said as she handed me a Tupperware container with a blue plastic lid. Inside I saw four, maybe five stones. Pohaku. "Keep them watered, and malama them," she said. I have, and they do malama(care for) me.

The large stones give birth to the small stones.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak from the heart